- Ability to manufacture biologics drug regardless of them being novel or biosimilar molecules- This is generally true as the process of making monoclonal antibodies or recombinant proteins is similar irrespective of them being novel drugs or biosimilars.
- Reduced cost of manufacturing- This happens when the biologics manufacturing plants have excess unused or underutilised capacity. Consequently, the incremental cost of manufacturing is not significant. An extension of this fact is the prevalence of pharma companies with biologics manufacturing capabilities acting as CMOs for others players in the industry.
- Existence of robust quality management system- This essentially involves a well-established capability to implement analytical methods to demonstrate biosimilarity with minimal or acceptable variance.
- Right infrastructure to conduct and expedite the clinical trials- A novel pharma has access to several trial sites and network with investigators to conduct required trials for the biosimilars drugs.
- Marketing infrastructure- A novel pharma has experience of marketing biologics drugs to the appropriate targets. The company will have necessary sales, MSL, market access team etc. in place in order to market the biosimilars as well.
- Whose money we are putting into biosimilars?
- Are we acting in the interest of the parties whose money we are using?
Typical biosimilars competitive intelligence programs are asset-centric i.e. they generally look at the market dynamics, landscapes, timelines, differentiation, launch plans, sales force, market access, promotions etc. However, visualising biosimilars and associated intelligence in a corporate-centric fashion such as business case, investment appraisal, commercial due diligence, licensing, M&A and transactions brings in the corporate finance/economics aspect and general holistic perspective to decision making. When assessed through multiple facets, the intelligence, its interpretation and implications become more value added. This enables managers to take more aligned and superior decisions in their quest for competitive advantage.
BiopharamVantage is a specialty healthcare consultancy that provides high quality competitive intelligence and decision-support services to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. If you would like to explore how we can assist you, please contact us.